Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I CANNOT WAIT for Christmas

I know it's still four (count them 4!!) months away, but I CANNOT CANNOT CANNOT WAIT for Christmas.

On December 16th, we will board a plane headed for HI, which will ultimately put us in Seattle on December...16th. Thank you International Date Line. Do you know how excited that makes me just thinking about it? I am not kidding. I know that the 24 hours it will to take us to get home will be tedious at best and seem like an eternity, but will be worth it to see my family and friends again.

I hope the airline brought enough little bottles of Cab for me! Did you know you can only use your debit card on certain planes now? Poor Boy-O will be losing his mind thinking about seeing his Mimi and Auntie and Uncle and hopefully his Daddy too. That's one of the reasons I haven't told him we're going yet, I wouldn't hear the end of it for the next four months. I bought the tickets in April...I like to plan ahead. I figure I'll start packing for him two days before we leave, as my bags are already packed and waiting. When he asks me what I'm doing, I'll pretend he already knows and make him crazy, until he starts getting mad at me and then I'll break down and tell him. I'll be sure to insert ear plugs before hand. I can just imagine the scream of delight now. Merry early Chirstmas buddy.

I sit here and day dream about going home and what we will do when we get home. I day dream about it on the way to work, at work, on the way home fom work, on the way to TKD, during TKD when I'm supposed to be meditating, on the way home from TKD...you get the idea. Pretty much occupies a great portion of my day.

I think about circling SEATAC looking out my window and seeing Mt Rainier (14, 411 ft.). Mt. Lamlam, the highest elevation here is only only 1,332 ft. above sea level. (but when measured from where it actually begins on the bottom of the Marianas Trench, it is the largest gain in elevation on Earth, approx. 38,300 ft!)

I think about how I can't wait to be cold after being so darned hot for 11 months. People here look at me funny when I say I can't wait to be cold, but they don't understand what a cold weather person I am. It makes me cranky to be hot, oh so cranky. Thank goodness for all the aircon here!

I think about the lights of the Space Needle and all of Seattle on the way to my momma's house. The lights of hotel row along the shoreline here are beautiful, but nothing compared to Seattle's skyline.

I think about the wonderful 8 lanes of interstate we call I-5. It's a three lane here on a good day heehee, and the potholes are much worse, bone-jarring even with good suspension.

I think about the pine trees lining the roads, sigh, I miss coniferous trees. Palm trees are beautiful, but I loves me a pine tree. Love the smell.

I think about Starbucks...yes, Starbucks. You may laugh, but YOU try going without for almost a year...heck, they have Starbucks in every country I've ever been to. I have pictures. But they don't have one on Guam, an American Territory!

I think about going to a Seahawks game. That's what I want for Christmas, tickets to a 'Hawks game. The cold, crisp Seattle air. Wearing a hooded sweatshirt, fur-lined coat, green 'Hawks gloves and covering with a blanket, shivering and cheering. The smell of garlic fries and beer. The sound of the crowd cheering and the beer guy/girl yelling "cold BUD!" and paying 8 dollars for it...yep, absolutely can't wait!

I think about how it's going to feel to hug my mommy again after almost a year. It's the longest I've ever been away from her and my sister and brother. I know, it sounds pathetic, I'm 30 years old...and I miss my mommy. But thats only because you haven't met her. Haven't heard her laugh or the silly words she makes up, or smelled her or seen her, or spent a holiday with her. She is the most beautiful woman in the world, inside and out.

I think about the feeling of calm that will come over me when I walk through her door. Her house is so soothing to me. It doesn't matter what house she's living in, it's her presence and what she turns a house into. It's like a drug to me. Everything smells good, everything is beautiful, matching, and clean; home. Home is where my mom is.

I think about taking a train to Oregon to see my best friend that I talk to on the phone everyday. It will be Boy-Os first train ride. Seeing my best friend in Mukilteo and her two beautiful kiddos. Borrowing my little brothers car (this makes me laugh) to go to Whidbey to see my friends that I miss so much. Visiting my old squadron and saying hello to my old "kids" there.

Christmas dinner will be amazing as always. This year it will be extra wonderful because I will be seeing and spending time with people I haven't seen in a year, and probably won't for another year. Christmas at momma's is always great. One of my favorite holidays, right along with Halloween.

Going to Trader Joe's, buying two buck Chuck (or is it four buck Chuck now?) and some yummy trail mix. Me thinks I'll have to be maling a box to myself on Guam, chock full o'Trader Joe's goodies.

Playing in the snow, even if it doesn't snow while we are there, I will make my way toward the snow if I have to hitchhike! Snoqualmie Pass, here we come!!!

And last but certainly not least: going to Leavenworth (WA). Stepdaddy already said we could go. For those that know me, this is a sorta big deal. I love Leavenworth. It is a little slice of heaven for me, even with the history I have with it. There is snow, beer and brauts! Can't beat that with a stick.

So, now I have exhausted my brain finally getting down in type why I CANNOT CANNOT CANNOT WAIT to get home. I hope this helps me think about something else for a while...but I doubt it.

124 days, 16 hours, 40 minutes and 47 seconds until Wednesday, December 16, 2009 at 8:00:00 AM.
But who's counting???

4 comments:

  1. It takes a rare and highly evolved breed to want to escape the tropics and head for WA in December. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am apparently so well bred, that's exaclty what I want to do! I love it there, and I will retire there in 8 years. I cannot wait until Rissa and I are living on "our" island again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is pretty much heaven. 64 degrees and sunny right this minute.

    ReplyDelete